Last Updated on Monday, 8 June 2015 11:24 Written by adminassist Monday, 8 June 2015 11:24
MAS Tarbiya Study Circles
One of the unique programs which MAS offers its members is an opportunity to be a part of an intimate study circle. These study circle opportunities are for those who are looking for a bigger commitment in their personal development and community activism. Because of limited space and resources, priority is given to MAS members and dedicated MAS DC volunteers. Sign up today for this unique program!
Goals of the MAS Tarbiya Program:
To help members reach their potential in five main qualities:
- Lifelong Learner
- Bearer of the Message
- Exemplary Citizen
- Agent of Change
What is the MAS usra (study circle)?
This program is an opportunity to live Islam, renew your connection with Allah and give back to your community, all with the facilitation of a mentor. It is a tool of self-development, and brotherly/sisterly bonding; an opportunity to challenge yourself and find ways of reconnecting with your Creator.
Participants meet on a weekly* basis to study Quran and Hadith meanings, the Seerah of the Prophet (pbuh), and other topics related to spirituality, community activism, and personal development. The small group setting allows everyone to get to know each other on a deeper level. In addition, participants work together to identify a team project that will be a way of giving back to their community. On a monthly basis, tarbiya experiences outside of the traditional usra meeting are designed to help members develop themselves in new ways (these may include monthly qiyam programs, local environmental clean-ups, team-building day trips, community activism initiatives). Attending all of these experiences is expected of Usra (study circle) members.
Cornerstones of the Program:
1. Community Service: Community project chosen and executed by participants.
2. Knowledge-based curriculum: Qur’an, Hadith, Seerah, etc.
3. Reflections: Members present on topics of personal interests & development, current events, and raising awareness, etc.
4. Brotherhood/Sisterhood Taaruf: Team-building and Bonding.
5. One-on-One Mentorship with group facilitator. Mentor spends time with each member helping them develop a personal goal of their own choosing.
6. Monthly Tarbiya Experiences: Every 4-6 weeks, activities outside of the regular usra meeting will take place with the goal of enriching our members in different qualities. These may include night-time prayer programs (qiyams), daytime team-building trips, environmental clean-ups, community service volunteer opportunities, etc.
- Attendance: Must be able to meet on a consistent basis, with 85% attendance rate (15% excused absence).
- Evaluation: At the end of a session an evaluation of each member’s commitment will take place to determine continuation in program.
- Practical Assignments: Attendees are expected to prepare for each session with practical assignments as well as readings and presentations.
- Mentor will guide discussions, foster an atmosphere of brotherhood and encourage each member to reach his/her potential in terms of self-development and community development.
- Community Service: By the end of the first session, members will have identified a team project that they can work on, as a way of giving back to their community.
Due to limited resources, space is limited. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
/public/masdc Also, subscribe to our weekly newsletter for more information about our current events. Sincerely,
Thuhr 1:30 PM
Asr 5:00 PM
Maghrib After Athaan
Ishaa 8:45 PM
FRIDAY PRAYER TIMES
First Prayer 12:00 PM
Second Prayer 1:15 PM